Warning #1: My child takes more time then their peers to complete assignments
- Does your child spend 3-4 hours on homework assignments when their peers finish in 1-2 hours?
- Does your child lack self-confidence because they compare their performance in school with their peers?
- Does your child ask for assistance, when they need it?
Warning #2 : My child has difficulty completing their schoolwork
- Does your child understand the lessons?
- Does your child need significant assistance to complete assignments?
- Does your child understand what is expected of them when completing assignments?
- Does your child follow directions?
- Does your child complete their assignments to the best of their abilities or rush to complete it and say that it is finished?
Warning #3 • My child lacks motivation in school
- Is your child interested in the subject matter presented to them?
- Does your child have personal goals to be successful in school? – Does your child have reasons to be motivated and successful in school?
Warning #4 • My child has difficulty following directions
- Does your child understand the directions?
- Is the language being used with your child too difficult for them to understand?
- Do directions need to be simplified for your child?
- Is your child focused and/or paying attention when given directions?
Warning #5 • My child is unorganized with homework and classroom assignments in school
- Does your child have a system in place to organize their classroom assignments and homework?
- Does your child need adult assistance to be successful with organization?
- Does your child use check lists to help organize? – Does your child ask for assistance, when needed?
If your child experiences any of these red flags, you might want to explore the problem further so are less frustrated with school and can learn to perform to their full potential in school.