1. Don’t Wait! Make sure to lather your kids up at home before you get to the beach or pool. Not only is it ideal to have the sunscreen on 30 minutes prior to exposure, but your child is less likely to be distracted by the waves or pool toys. This results in more cooperation too! For little kids, make use of the car seat! Apply lotion once they are strapped in where they can’t run or wiggle away.
2. Put sunscreen on before putting bathing suits on. Wet suits can sag and you want to avoid your child burning along their suit line which can be painful and dangerous. If you put sunscreen on before your kids are dressed, you can be sure to get every inch of their skin. Allow kids to help put on sunscreen before getting dressed. Make it a game and tell them to “cover your whole body”.
3. Make use of snack time. Every time the kids’ head back for a drink or food have the sunscreen ready. It is recommended you reapply every 30 minutes and there is nothing wrong with enticing them with a treat to get them back over to your chair (for good snack ideas, check out our article “Healthy Snacks on the Go”).
4. Use glitter! There are sunscreens that have glitter! This can really get kids excited to put it on….who doesn’t like to shimmer in the sun?! Check out glitter nation for all natural ingredient sparkle screen.
5. Let your child get in on the action. Children like to feel they have some control in things and we all know when it comes to sunscreen they don’t; however, it is a MUST do…no “if, ands, or buts” about it. Make them feel a sense of control by allowing them to do your sunscreen. You may be in charge of theirs, but they are more likely to accept that if they are in charge of yours. Let them lather you in sunscreen and then you can always go over any missed spots once they hit the water!
Try these tips and turn that sunscreen battle into a bit of summer fun!